Thursday, April 07, 2016

So, I'm Not Perfect: MISOPHONIA!


Last year, when I was in the states, one of my cousins greeted me with:
"Do you go bezerk when people are making tapping sounds and things like that?"
I immediately said "yes," and then she told me that she does, too, and so did an aunt of ours, and it is genetic and has a name:
Misophonia 
I was so excited to discover that contrary to what people have been telling me for ages, I'm not just some nasty antisocial, intolerant creep.
Do you get unfathomably angry at the sound of people doing the following: Drinking, chewing, crunching, gulping, nail biting, slurping, swallowing, clicking, breathing, sniffling, wheezing, whistling, finger tapping…the list goes on.
For some people reading this, those words alone are enough to get their blood boiling. If like me, you are one of these unfortunate souls, I have news; you’re suffering from a condition called Misophonia.
Also, it's not something I chose or choose. It's a physical "disability."

I also think that my intolerance I show for certain types of music, which grate on my brain and my absolute vehemence at the sound of electric "drums" may be related to my Misophonia, not my dance background. Or maybe my innate kinesthetic propensity for dance and movement may also be from my Misophonia. I react so physically to sounds and music. If any of you reading this also have Misophonia, I'd like your opinion on the matter.

No comments: