Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Damaged Screen


I hope this photo is clear enough on your screen to see. The other day when I got a ride to the "gas station" on the way to Tel Zion/Psagot/Kochav Yaakov I looked up to see when a bus was expected. All I needed was to go just over a kilometer to Sha'ar Binyamin, but since there's no sidewalk along the road, it's not very safe to walk. I wouldn't want to tempt a terrorist to run into me or be the victim of a driver paying more attention to his phone or whatever, so I needed a bus or a ride.

The cracked screen looked like it had been hit by some rocks; its pole seemed undamaged. These screens give, or are supposed to give, information about which bus is coming when, but that's in theory.  Not all the buses get listed. In Shiloh we have two bus lines, but only one line is shown on our screens. And frequently the only message is:
Out of Order
Even at stops like the one in Sha'ar Binyamin, which do show lots of bus lines, I've found that not all the buses show up on the screen. Actually, that is sometimes very good news. Quite a few times when waiting for a bus to Jerusalem, I see that none is expected for at least twenty minutes, and then "surprise," there's a bus.

I'm sure you're itching to tell me to download the "bus app" which will let me know what buses are coming when. Yes, I did have it, but as I've written before, Craving a New, Better and Smarter Smartphone my phone doesn't have enough memory, so I'm down to bare minimum when it comes to apps. And since many of the bus stops do have the screen with that information, it was an unnecessary app for me.

I wonder how long it will take for the screen to get fixed....

No comments: