Thursday, May 17, 2012

Those TSA Public Pat Downs, Kissenger and I

Last summer, although I boarded at least four flights, only one TSA crew decided that I seemed suspicious enough to warrant a pat down.  I accepted the public option, because I wanted to keep my eyes on my possessions which were being opened and examined publicly at the same time.  Also, I figured that there's less of a chance of inappropriate inspections when in full view.

It seemed pretty strange to me that, although I was dressed in the same skirt for all of my flying, only one airport considered it as dangerous to public safety.


Since the TSA began their inspections, random or whatever, we've all been reading about their strange arbitrary decisions, like inspecting toddlers, diapers and the elderly.  The latest news is that former Secretary of State the 89 year old Henry Kissenger was forced out of his wheelchair to be "patted down."  He had to take off his jacket and stand up.  What happens to those who can't stand up?  Many people take advantage of the free wheelchair/handicapped airport service, because it's too complicated, physically difficult and stressful to walk the long distances with their carry-ons in enormous modern airports.  But there are travelers who are "full-time" wheelchair passengers and can't stand up and remove bulky outer clothes.  How do they manage this?

And another annoyance is the fact that water and other liquids bought in the stores after security inspection can't be taken on the plane.  I had to drink over a liter of water or spill it out before boarding.  And the water was very expensive, as are all products n the airport.  I dread my next trip.

No comments: