Wednesday, January 05, 2011

A Walking Adventure in Jerusalem

Last week I met a visiting cousin-in-law for lunch on Jerusalem's trendy Emek Refaim Street.  We ate at "Joy," an excellent meat restaurant, but we didn't have meat.  We had fish and a delicious blended orange soup.  Everything was very tasty, but the vegetable portion was rather stingy.  I could have eaten five times the amount.  I should have ordered a side salad, because I used my "salad option" of the "business lunch" on the soup.  It was a cold day.  Even though I knew I'd be treated, I didn't feel right ordering something extra.  We shared a high quality sorbet for dessert.  Actually, we ordered identical meals.

After lunch we did a little shopping on the street and then tried wandering in the direction of her hotel, the Inbal which is on the end of Jabotinsky Street.

We wandered and wandered, sort of going in circles.  We passed these birds in a schoolyard.  By then we were lost and eventually asked directions.




We eventually made it to the hotel and discovered that she could have bought the stuff she had gotten in some Emek Refaim stores, just a block up from the hotel on Jabotinsky.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

getting lost while walking around jlem is one of my favorite pastimes. been doing it for years, and i still cant get enough of the place. i just love it -- jlem is one helluva city!
i also have to agree with agnon [another jlem lover] when he said that sometimes he could pass a place he passed many times before, and it would be unfamiliar to him. other times he could could be in a new area and it would seem familiar...
been living here for years and there is still so much to learn about jlem...

Batya said...

Jerusalem is amazing. I've also enjoyed ns3- (sr discount) bus tours on winding bus routes.

Rivki Silver said...

Ah, I miss walking around Jerusalem. There's so much character and kedushah hiding in every corner and on every street. sigh. Have a great Shabbos!

Batya said...

I don't get to wander too often, but when I do it's great fun. G-d willing you'll be back.