Thursday, March 01, 2007

Skimmed America--update!


Last summer I wrote about the peculiar foods I found in New York and my difficulty in finding good healthy 3% yogurt in a post I called "Skimmed America."
Many people find it hard to accept, but all that 0% and 1% dairy isn't good for you. If you don't eat enough cholesterol, your body will over-produce it. Besides that, the milk protein without the cholesterol isn't good for the system and produces various allergy symptoms.
That's not an invitation to live on real sour cream and full-fat beef, but it's better to have some butter on your bread than margarine, and it's better to eat a whole egg than fake ones or only the white. The yolk has iron and other important nutritional elements. Decades ago a friend told me that her very knowledgeable grandfather told her to eat both parts of the egg, since there are things in them that interact in a good way for the body when they're eaten together. And if part is missing it's bad.
Recently the Israeli dairy companies have started adding calcium to many dairy products. I don't like added minerals. The 9% cottage cheese doesn't have it, which makes me suspect that the higher the percent the healthier.
But even I was surprised to see:
Yes, according to the article one of the causes of increasing infertility is the Skimmed America Syndrome!

2 comments:

marallyn ben moshe said...

another great post muse...and you are so very right...the lower the fat %age the more chemicals...next lifetime i want fat hair and thin thighs...sigh

Batya said...

thanks m'dear
I just want to be healthy; don't you?