Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Ode to Pesach, not original


ps Does anyone remember that Dynasty parody with Carol Burnett, in which the rich family had a "raisin farm?"

This isn't original, but I didn't invent kneidlach either, and I still serve them!
hat tip to Nuch Epes Ah Chosid, thanks! From pearlies of wisdom , love it!

Ode to Pesach

The pantry is empty, devoid of its stuff
Pesach is coming, enough is enough
The chametz got sold to our rabbi, you know
It was time to get rid of it, time to let go

I bought my Pesachdik groceries, paid more than I thought
I kept buying and buying; I bought and I bought
But don’t Pesach prices always get out of hand
For one week out of the year, we just don’t understand.

We feel the need to buy up the store
To prepare seders and meals and have nosh galore
And after the week is done and we’ve put on some weight
We avoid our scale, those numbers we hate!

We might lose some pounds as we meticulously “spring clean”
Making “seder” in our homes, on that we are keen
At least once a year we do this overhaul
And then we rest for a moment before the cooking calls.

Let’s plan some “healthy” dishes that use lots of eggs and oil
And matzah meal and matzah, over menus we will toil
We have to please our family and friends who join us for a meal
Several variations on matzah can have some “mass appeal.”

There’s always prune juice and compote for you who gets “stopped up”
Or pour yourself hot water with lemon juice and sip it from a cup.
As for me, I love matzah farfel and lots of macaroons
And soup mandlen and matzah balls, I have no use for prunes.

I took a moment to stop my cleaning and write this little ditty
I hope you find it whimsical, I hope you deem it witty.
“Have a good Pesach” is my wish for you out there
May you enjoy your family and friends, together celebrate and share.

6 comments:

The Babka Nosher said...

Cute poem. The mini series was called Fresno. It's scary that I remember that!

Batya said...

thanks
Why should it be scary? I remember when Carol Burnet was considered "new."

Anonymous said...

Isn't it cute?!

drop her a comment on her blog as well if u have a moment.

Batya said...

I even added her to my blogroll! It has been growing a lot recently.

torontopearl said...

Todah rabah...for posting my poem,and the cute pic I found -- and for adding me to the blogroll.

I LOVED the Carol Burnett show...even wrote to her when I was younger and she replied!

Have a Shabbat (ha-Gadol) Shalom, and a chag kasher v'sameach.

Batya said...

my pleasure
She was?is some funny lady