Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Interesting Psak About Kitniyot on Pesach

Please don't get me wrong, I haven't accepted this psak, yet. One isn't supposed to pick and choose rabbinic decisions according to convenience. According to Pirkei Avot, we're supposed to choose a rabbi (teacher), and then follow in accordance to what he teaches. And since I'm not a follower of Machon Shilo, actually it's not associated with the Shiloh I reside in and never heard of it before, I can't just blindly follow what it has publicized.

According to that institute, they chose the name "Shilo," because:

The central idea behind Machon Shilo is that while the Jewish People have physically returned to Erets Yisrael, they have not yet returned to the Torah of Erets Yisrael, only to the learning of Torah in Erets Yisrael.

Using that same reasoning, I don't know if the time has come to erase all halachik ethnic differences. That's the external manifestation. I think we have to first erase the more "internal" differences.

Here in the Village of Shiloh, I'm encouraged by the large percentage of families whose children have married other "eidot," Jewish Ethnic groups. The newest generation is growing up with "blurred lines," knowing that we're all Jews and that's the most important thing of all.

Chodesh Tov!

No comments: