Thursday, March 15, 2007

Driving in the Snow, It'll Never be the Same

Dashing through the snow
In a one horse open sleigh
O'er the fields we go
Laughing all the way
Bells on bob tails ring
Making spirits bright
What fun it is to laugh and sing
A sleighing song tonight


Sure wasn't "Jingle Bells" this afternoon on the way to work!

There had been peculiar weather all day, snow, sleet, rain, sun--everything you can imagine!

The snow/sleet/slush became very heavy between Ofra and the T Junction to Beit El. Suddenly, the teacher who was driving said:


"I can't control the car."


At first I didn't quite realize what he meant, then I realized that it was sliding and sliding some more! We were turning around and going to the other side of the road... I closed my eyes, leaned back into the seat and began to scream:


"No, no! Nooo!"


And then we stopped after banging into the guard rail. Baruch Hashem, thank G-d, we were OK. Someone came over to check. I called work to say we weren't going to get to Beit El. The secretary didn't understand. She didn't know that the road was full of snow, ice, too dangerous, and I was afraid of getting stuck there. I was in no condition to teach. I just wanted to get home.

The driver was able to start the car, and slowly, very slowly we continued in the direction the accident brought us, which was homewards.

Yes, it was frightening, but there are worse things. This afternoon was the funeral of Chassida Rut bat Sarah v'Avraham, Z"L, and yesterday Gnaidel Malka bat Michle was operated on. Pray for a Refuah Shleimah for her, please.


6 comments:

Akiva said...

B"H, only damaged metal, not damaged flesh.

May the experience be taken as a kappara for you.

Batya said...

Yes, exactly, Baruch Hashem, I'm fine.
My friend who just died and the one operated on and I are all the same age.
It really reminds us what's important.

Anonymous said...

Scary. Glad to hear you're ok.

Batya said...

yes, very scary
thanks
Shabbat shalom

Anonymous said...

Driving in snow is not an easy task. My people dies due to not having proper skill of driving. So, before driving person should have good knowledge of that otherwise his life is at risk.

fitness

Batya said...

very true