Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Clean Hands--I'll Stick With Soap and Water!

Not all that long ago, while getting food in a cafeteria-style restaurant, I was disgusted to see that the gloved worker handled the food and money with the same gloves on. No one else seemed disturbed, and I couldn't embarrass my companions. Maybe I should have.

I know that many food workers wear some sort of gloves, but I don't think of gloves as something as clean as well-washed hands. I wash dishes with "rubber gloves" and also wear them when using strong cleansers. But I'm repulsed at the idea of handling salads and stuff with gloves.

As you know, I don't usually agree with The New York Times when it comes to politics, but they have an article about the dangers of the various gloves between the dirt factor, carcinogens and allergies.

In the article it's recommended that workers be required to change gloves more frequently, but that's an added expense, which some food businesses won't like.

Personally, I think that there should be "hospital sinks" with foot pedals to turn water off and on and an easy to use soap dispenser.

4 comments:

BagelUndertheCouch said...

as a former fast food employee, i should let you know that getting new gloves on after discarding old gloves is somewhat of a traumatic experience. sweaty hands means you have to wash them before you put on new gloves, making them wetter and 10 times as hard to put on...it would be easier if they just let us work with our bare hands, washing them at intervals. but no one listens to me.

Batya said...

I'm listening to you!

Anonymous said...

right on about the entire issue!

Batya said...

Good to hear, since you've eaten from my kitchen!