Tuesday, March 27, 2007

50

Quick note, dvar Torah, of sorts about the number 50. A neighbor turned 50, and at the Kiddush cum Surprise Birthday Party another neighbor spoke.

I got "lost" in his words as soon as he mentioned that 50 in Hebrew letters is:
ים
yam, sea
40 + 10 = 50

I reversed the letters making
מי me, who

And in my mind I continued the "Dvar Torah" saying that at 50, one is oneself, who one really is. We can make more of ourselves or less of ourselves, but Grandma Moses characters are rare, and it's only a myth that she started painting late in life. She drew and painted as a child only becoming a successful commercial artist late in life.

After turning 50 we can perfect the person we are, but we shouldn't count on major positive changes.

Honestly, I felt better turning 50 than turning 40.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You give me hope. I'm 48 and slouching toward my future...

Batya said...

March forward with a big smile! It's all in the attitude.

I have almost a decade on you, and I'm starting to count the days to the discounts.